If you are coming from a Twitter background one of the thing you might be wondering in Google+ is, is it possible to share / post to Google+ using SMS or Texting?
Don’t worry you won’t be missing anything, Google+ got it covered. Yes, you can post to your Google+ circles, public post or just individuals via SMS or Texting.
As of now, it works only in 2 countries (USA and India) and here are the numbers
33669 (United States)
For posting via SMS to work, you phone number must be registered with your Google+ account.
Here is how to setup your phone account with your Google+ profile (refer image below)
- Click on the gear icon on the top right of your Google+ profile
- Click on the Google+ settings
- Left side you’ll find Google+ selected by default
- On the right side you’ll find a link saying Add phone number
- Click on it, choose the country United States or India and enter your phone number
- Click on the Send verification code and follow the process
- Once successfully added your phone number is connected to your Google+ profile
Now let’s see how to post via sms or texting
- By default, after you setup your phone with Google+ and send a post via SMS to the above numbers, your post will be shared with Your Circles (which is all the members in any of your circles).
- To share a post with a specific circle, just type your post and at the end add the circle name with a + in front. (for eg. This is my message i want to share +mycirclename)
- To share a post with extended circle, just type your post and at the end add +extended (for e.g This is my message i want to share +extended)
- To share a post public with anyone, just type your post and at the end add +public (for e.g This is my message i want to share +public)
- To share a post with an individual, just type the post followed by his email address (for e.g This is my message +firstname.lastname@example.org)
- All public posts shared on Google+ will appear on Google search results. So, please make sure before sending it to public, if you are okay with the message.
- SMS or Texting might cost you based on the service provider or plan you are using.