There are social networks and blogging services out there that allows you to post to their services using SMS or Email. Are you wondering how to post through email or sms on Google+?
Yesterday we covered about how to post to Google+ via sms or texting? Today we’ll cover about posting through email. Google+ out of the box supports posting via SMS, so it was pretty straight forward.
However Google+ doesn’t support posting via email in a straight forward way, but the good news is – It is possible to post to Google+ through email.
But you need a Google Voice account to do this. Google Voice is free, even if you don’t have a Google voice account, you can sign up for a new account
Now, let’s walk through the step by step instructions of how to setup and post to Google+ via email
- Important: Your Google+ email address must be the same as your Google Voice email account
- Login into your Google Voice account
- Click on the gear icon on the topmost right of your screen
- Click on Voice settings
- Click on the Voicemail & Text tab
- Check the Text Forwarding option Forward text messages to my email:
- Hit Save changes button
- Now click on the Text button and send a message to Google+ sms number (33669 in USA or 9222222222 in India)
- You’ll immediately receive an SMS saying 33669: Google+: Did not understand the request.
- Now goto your gmail account you use for Google+ and you’ll find a email from Google voice with the same message as above
- Look for the from address of that email. It’ll look like email@example.com (yourphoneno = your google voice number, googlesmsno = google+ sms number, somecode=some id)
- Make note of this email address, this is your unique Google+ email address
- Sending an email to this address WON’T yet allow you to post to your Google+ stream (The reason is : Your Google Voice phone number is not yet associated with your Google+ profile)
- Now goto your Google+ profile, hit the gear icon on the topmost right and click Google+ settings
- You’ll find a link saying Add phone number. Enter your Google Voice phone number and hit Send Verification Code
- Now goto your Google Voice account and get the verification code
- Come back to your Google+ profile and input the verification code
- That’s it, now you have successfully associated your Google+ profile with your Google Voice phone number and you are ready to use posting via Email
- In Gmail, Compose a new message
- In the To address type your unique email address we talked above
- Subject is not required and will always be ignored
- Type in a message in the body of the email followed by who you want to share the message with. Use the same format as mentioned here Google+ post via sms under Now let’s see how to post via sms or texting section (for eg. This is my email body message +circlename)
- Hit send, that’s it. You message will be posted to Google+.
This looks like a long process but once you read and understand should be very simple. Moreover it’s just one time setup. Once done, you can enjoy posting to Google+ via email.